This new range from Gregory the Optic 58 and 48 (for men) and the Octal 55 and 45 (for women) offer a quality produced pack, with easy access, quality materials, well thought out, internal / external storage with included optional extras for an excellent price.
Please see the video for the full breakdown.
Firstly the three external pockets stretch to hold everything you might need on a daily basis.
The large front pocket could hold your wet weather/warm gear plus it has the added benefit of a security clip at the top to ensure nothing is lost.
On the side we have the walking poles attachment points, and the compression daisy chain, which can either be placed ’over’ or ’through’ the side pockets. A neat flexible feature.
The side pockets will hold a vast amount and there are two access points, which offers the option on how you might wish to use them. You can reach thse pockets while wearing the pack.
The top floating lid has 2 pockets one internal, one external which is clipped nicely into place.
The shoulder harness is well padded and elasticated clips for glasses on one side along with the established hydration tube clips too.
The lumbar support is comfortable and belt and pockets fininsh off the pack providing even more daily storage.
There is no need to buy a rain cover with this pack as it is included in its own storage slot.
Finally there is a floating top pocket/lid which allows for flexible storage. However you have the option to remove the lid completely and replace it with a simple cap ‘also provided’, which will reduce the ingress of rain into the pack, should you use it in the ‘roll top’ style.
Internally the slot which is traditionally narrow for the hydration system, has been increased to the full width of the pack frame. This means you can fold your sleeping pad down (most pads) and keep it tucked in here, making for easier packing and protecting the pad from sharp objects too.
There is a small hydration clip at the top of the pack to keep your hydration in place, or even use in conjunction with a roll top bag, to keep important items in one place, such as keys, phone, wallet etc.
All in all this series is very well thought out to the lightweight backpacker. The frame allows up to 15kg (depending on the model) to be carried and allows air to flow through the back system. The appearance is slender and all items can be tucked away for a neat streamlined look.
We think an ultralight pack with proper support and essential features provides a better experience—more efficient and much more enjoyable—than hyper-minimalist stuff sack with zero structure. The difference shows the morning after a 15-mile day, when the Octal 45 proves that comfort is one trail essential you can’t live without.
• AeroSpan suspension with EVAP moisture wicking shallow-depth ventilated back panel
• Ventilated, dual-density FocusForm shoulder harness and extra supportive hip belts with targeted comfort zones
• Leaf-Spring Lumbar pad for comfortable, energy-saving load transfer
• Ultra-light 7001 aluminum perimeter frame with Anti-barreling support
• Included custom fitted rain cover stows in the top pocket for quick access in unexpected showers
• Removable top zippered pocket to shed ounces and swap-in included ultra-light weather flap to stay protected (stows in top pocket)
• Sunglass QuickStow system on shoulder harness for quick, secure and scratch-free access to your shades without taking the pack off
• Quick access on-the-go water bottle stow access on both the right and left sides
• Over sized, durable front stretch mesh pocket for quick access organization
• Dual zippered hip belt pockets provide secure, easy to access storage
• Dual stretch mesh side pockets with Large capacity for bottles, camp sandals, trekking poles
• Dual adjustable attachment loops and upper shock locks for trekking poles or ice axes
• Ultra-light V-Compression system on side and bottom of bags
• Lower side compression pass-through on side pocket for over/under option
• Gear attachment points on top pocket and main body
Back Lengths (See fitting page)
Small - 16 to 18 Inches / 40.6cm to 45.7cm
Medium - 18 to 20 inches / 45.7cm to 50.8cm
Small: 66cm x 32cm x 27cm
Medium: 71cm x 32cm x 30cm
Small: 1.08kg Stripped: 1.03kg
Medium: 1.12kg Stripped 1.07kg
Max Suggested Carry Weight: 13.5kg
Hydration Compatible: Yes